we have seriously no idea what to name this blog.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Coursework

WARNING: Brainstorming in Progress. Strong use of incoherent language.

Happened to be having lunch with Shuning last Tuesday, when the conversation ended up about friends, and her mentioning something like "our lives are governed by our timetables". Come to think of it, mine is. Close to all my weekdays' day time is restricted by that little a5 sized paper I carry around. Is yours?

The bell rings, assembly ends, you wonder what your next period is. You take out your timetable. (Actually, yes, take it out now.) Look at those little squares in them. Look at how segmented your life actually is now.

"Oh, first period is GP. I'll be seeing A, B, and C".
Then the bell rings, and
"Oh okay, chem. I'll be seeing E, F, G."
"sorry, A,B,C, we'll have to talk some time later"

Maybe it's just me, and me having an odd combi (I empathize with all you odd-combi-ers out there!). Thing is, almost every single little square in the timetable refers to a new bunch of faces. A bunch of faces which I interact with based on where the lines start and end. I might want to chat for a while more, but sorry, bell's gone, gotta go. Duno if this is true or not, but do you not-so-odd combi people have more friends that actually go to the same classes as you?

Back to the timetable.
Segments, like little cells.
Cells, or rather, pockets of time with a clearly demarcated start and end. Start time, and end time. Deadline. Dateline or Deadline? Dead-date-line.

Think of it.

How many things have deadlines these days?
Let's look at LPG's diagram.

Past:
[]-------[]-------[]

Present:
[][][][][][][][][][][]

Where [] represents a segment of time.
Are we over-living our lives?
What's happening to transition states, the in-betweens of phases? Why does my food suddenly turn bad when it hits tomorrow, and not slowly sour?

Perhaps nowadays, people are so caught up with deadlines, with end times, that the imaginary barrier between events is growing taller and taller.

And this barrier, this fence, it separates polar opposites, what comes before and after the deadline is totally different.

Hmm.

I'm losing control of my thoughts! I think i should...

=END=

If you managed to make sense of it, congrats! This is art making. Documenting random ideas and memories of ideas from this afternoon somewhere, so i can work on them later. I just happened to be on the computer when I realized I should 'pen' these ideas down somewhere.

K. Workwork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home